Make WhatsApp (WA) More Comfortable
Hi, This is my second story. Suddenly I thought of making a case study about Whatsapp. Here’s the result, happy reading!
What is WhatsApp (WA)?
WhatsApp is an online social media founded by Brian Acton since 2009. Currently, WhatsApp has very much user from all over the world. Not only can use it to chat, WhatsApp can be used to make calls, video calls and even make status.
What’s the Problem?
Why did I choose this topic? Because WhatsApp is the social media that I use most often this time. The development of WhatsApp has been very fast and very helpful for people in communication, of course, as sophisticated as an application there are certainly disadvantages. In accordance with my experience using WhatsApp, I was very helpful in communication, especially in group. When used for family groups, meeting groups, of course, are very comfortable when we can connect with each other easily. But, what happens when we are entered in an unknown group or maybe just a spam group? Of course it will be very uncomfortable and maybe reluctant to leave the group, especially if there is no conﬁrmation feature before entering a group. It could be that our privacy is disturbed because we have already entered a group that we don’t want.
As an ampliﬁer of this case studies, I made a small survey. I used the questionnaire method through Instagram stories by asking 2 questions. The question is:
- According to friends, if there is no approval / conﬁrmation feature when we are invited to the Whatsapp group, is it disturbing?
- If it is disturbing, why?
From the ﬁrst question, there were 72 people who answered, 57 people answered “yes” and only 15 people answered “no”. If it is totaled, then 79% answer “yes it’s disturb” and 21% answer “don’t disturb”.
From the second question, there are 10 answers from people who answered “yes”. Some answers can be seen:
- “If invited to a strange group, it will be troublesome. So you have to be selective in choosing groups. Conﬁrmation feature can be one solution.”
- “Because it disturbs our privacy. What if we don’t want to accept or we are invited by someone we don’t know.”
- “The problem is in the early announcement. At least we already know the purpose of the group.”
- “Not necessarily we know the contents of the group are good people or not. There was once a case of the telephone number being used on an online taxi, then invited by the driver to enter a weird group.”
From the results of this survey, it can be concluded that the absence of a conﬁrmation feature in the WhatsApp group was disturbing, and even a negative impact was generated.
Make a List of User Needs
From the survey, user needs are made:
- User privacy can be guarded
- Users are comfortable in using groups
- Avoiding crime
Find the Solution
Based on the problems experienced by the user and based on the list of user needs, the solution can be found:
- Make a conﬁrmation / approval feature before entering a group
- Change some content so that it is more comfortable for the user
Make the User Flow
To facilitate the designing of the user interface design, the user flow is created ﬁrst.
Make Rough Sketch
If user choose to join, the user can start a conversation in this group.
If user chooses to decline, the user can’t see the group again.
If user choose to wait, the notiﬁcations still appear, and the user can answer again.
Make Low Fidelity (Wireframe)
The low ﬁdelity process is a process of making designs with a low level of precision. Low ﬁdelity focuses on elements such as symbols, text size, etc.
Make High Fidelity
The high ﬁdelity process is a process of converting low ﬁdelity into a more detailed design. Usually, high ﬁdelity focuses on coloring and details.
- Join group
- Decline group
- Information if user invited in group
- Group name
- Year of the group formed
- Members of group
To add convenience for the user, I changed some content in the WhatsApp home view.
I add one column, it is group column in the home view, so that it makes it easier for user to sort between personal chat and group chat. Because if you use writing, it will look so full, then I change it to an icon. In addition, the icon function is to simplify writing to be easier for users to remember.
The prototype can be opened from the link below:
Thank you for reading, I hope this story can be useful for you! 😀